SPEAK 2009 Video
SPEAK on Broadcast Radio
Press Release from Governor Martin O'Malley
The Maryland Youth
The National Suicide Hotlines
Maryland Suicide Prevention Commission
SPEAK on Facebook
Bev Cobain/Jean Larch 'Dying To Be Free'
Goldman's Great Answers to Difficult Questions about Sex
'In Her Wake'
Addressing this issue and seeking professional help could save a life.
- Suicide is the ninth leading cause of death in the U.S., claiming approximately 30,000 lives each year.
- The suicide rate is higher for the elderly than for any other age group.
- Most suicidal persons give definite warning signs of their suicidal intentions, but others are often unaware of the significance of these warnings, or unsure what to do about them.
- Firearms are the most common method of suicide across all age, sex, and ethnic groups, and rates are increasing.
- Talking about suicide does NOT cause someone to be suicidal, nor does it mean that someone is less likely to commit suicide.
- 18 American veterans kill themselves a day.
- 1,000 former soldiers receiving care from the Department of Veterans Affairs attempt suicide every month.
- More Veterans are completing suicide than are dying in combat overseas.
- In 2005, over 6,200 veterans completed suicide-120 per week.
- Veterans were twice as likely to commit suicide as non-veterans.
- Veterans aged 20 to 24 who served in Afghanistan and Iraq, had the highest rate of suicide among all veterans.
- Most teen suicides are impulsive with little or no planning and 70% occur in the victim's homes.
- An adolescent is twice as likely to complete suicide if a gun is kept in the home.
- Suicide rates amongst youth ages 15-24 have increased more than 300% since the 1950's.
- Suicide is the leading cause of death among Gay and Lesbian youth nationally.
- 30% of Gay youth attempt suicide near the age of 15.
- Gays and Lesbians are two to six times more likely to suicide than Heterosexuals.
- Almost half of the Gay and Lesbian teens state they have attempted suicide more than once.
- It has been conservatively estimated the 1,500 Gay and Lesbian youth commit suicide every year.
- Giving away prized possessions
- Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
- Change in eating habits and sleep patterns
- Extreme personality changes
- Aggressive, destructive, or defiant behavior
- Neglect of personal appearance or hygiene
- Increase in alcohol or drug consumption
- Talking, writing or drawing about their own death
- Withdrawing from family or friends